This site contains affiliate links to products. We may receive a commission for purchases made through these links. Please read our Affiliate Disclosure for more.
Leatherman is manufacturing multi-tools for a long time, each multi-tool is designed for a purpose, some are for the outdoors others are for heavy-duty tasks that are needed in some jobs such as construction workers or plumbers. With such a diversified range of multi-tools is hard to pick one, this is why in this article we will compare two of the most popular Leatherman multi-tools, Leatherman MUT vs Surge.
Leatherman MUT vs Surge – Overview
Before starting with the comparison we need to see what are the benefits and functions of each multi-tool beforehand.
Whether you’re in the military, a prepper, or just like to be prepared for any emergency, you need the Leatherman MUT. MUT(Multi-Utility Tool) is equipped with many helpful features: a stainless steel blade, pliers, bolt override tool, hammer, and more. Its heavy-duty construction means it’s ready for anything and can stand up to any challenge. It has a bronze carbon scraper that removes corrosion from surfaces quickly and easily. For any weapon owner, the MUT is a must-have in your hunting gear.
Read complete review: Leatherman MUT
Leatherman Surge got a uniquely designed blade exchanger, cutting-edge tools, and easy-to-use locks to help you conquer anything from quick repairs to difficult tasks. With Leatherman Surge on your side, you’ll be able to tackle any job with ease. The one-handed opening and closing make it easy to use with one hand and on the go. Needless to say the unique blade exchanger or replaceable premium wire cutters that make Leatherman Surge the ultimate powerhouse for any handyman. On the other hand, Surge may be a little more expensive than other similar products on the market, but it’s worth every penny.
Read complete review: Leatherman Surge
MUT vs Surge – The Comparison
We learned a bit about both multitools, now let’s see how different they are in this head-to-head comparison.
- Awl – MUT doesn’t come with an awl, while the Surge comes with an awl with a thread loop.
- Knife – MUT comes with a 420HC Combo Knife while Surge comes with one 420HC full blade and one 420HC serrated blade.
- Cutters – MUT comes with a replaceable cutting hook, while Surge doesn’t have this feature.
- File – MUT doesn’t come with any file, while Surge comes with a Diamond-coated file and a wood/metal file.
- Can Opener – MUT doesn’t come with a can opener, while Surge does.
- Ruler – Surge comes with an 8 inches ruler while MUT doesn’t have a ruler.
- Wire Stripper – Surge comes with a wire stripper while MUT doesn’t.
- Weapon features – MUT comes with some weapon-only functions such as a replaceable carbon scraper, bolt override tool, and firearm disassembly punch.
- Other functions – MUT comes with a Hammer while Surge only features a blade exchanger function.
Size & Weight
Leatherman MUT weighs 11.2 ounces with a closed length of 5 inches, while Leatherman Surge weighs 12.5 ounces with a closed length of 4.5 inches. This means that MUT is lighter than Surge and at the same time has a bigger closed length than the Surge.
The main blade on Leatherman MUT has a length of 3 inches while the one on Leatherman Surge has a length of 3.1 inches. In terms of blade length both MUT and Surge have almost the same size for their main blade.
As we conclude this comparison article of Leatherman MUT and Surge, we can see that the main difference between Leatherman MUT and Surge is that, MUT is aimed more at weapon owners while Surge is aimed at people that need a heavy-duty and reliable multi-tool for their jobs. In this case, we highly recommend MUT only for weapon owners or people that are into tactical activities, but if you are looking for a full-sized multi-tool for heavy-duty tasks, then we recommend Leatherman Surge.