This site contains affiliate links to products. We may receive a commission for purchases made through these links. Please read our Affiliate Disclosure for more.
When it comes to choosing the right multi-tool, Leatherman has established itself as a reliable and trusted brand. Two of their popular models, the Leatherman MUT and Surge, often come up in discussions among outdoor enthusiasts and professionals alike. The Leatherman MUT multi-tool is designed with military and law enforcement personnel in mind. It offers a range of features that cater specifically to their unique requirements. On the other hand, the Leatherman Surge is known for its versatility and robustness, making it a favorite among outdoor enthusiasts and DIY enthusiasts. In this article, we will delve into a detailed comparison of these two multi-tools to help you make an informed decision on which one is best suited for your needs.
Leatherman MUT vs Surge – Overview
One of the first things that will catch your eye is the MUT’s impressive array of functions. With a total of 16 tools packed into its compact frame, the MUT is designed to handle any situation you may encounter. From pliers to wire cutters, it has everything you need to tackle daily tasks or unexpected emergencies.
Read the complete review: Leatherman MUT
Leatherman Surge multi-tool is an exceptional piece of equipment that offers outstanding versatility, strength, and durability. With 21 high-quality tools in one compact design, it’s a must-have for any handyman. Because of its robust construction, it ensures that it can handle even the toughest tasks effortlessly. Each tool is crafted with precision and functionality in mind, allowing for seamless operation.
Read the complete review: Leatherman Surge
MUT vs Surge – The Comparison
Earlier, you were provided with a brief overview of each multi-tool. However, now it’s time to delve into the heart of the matter – a thorough and direct comparison between the Leatherman Mut and Surge multi-tools.
The MUT proudly showcases 16 functions, while its counterpart, the Surge, takes it up a notch and flaunts an impressive 21 functions. Now, let’s delve into the intricate details of each tool and uncover any noteworthy distinctions between them.
The Leatherman MUT has a few tools that the Leatherman Surge doesn’t have. These tools include:
- Replaceable firearm disassembly punch
- Replaceable carbon scraper for cleaning firearm bolts
- Bolt override tool to clear jams in auto rifles
- Cleaning rod/brush adapters for firearm maintenance
These additional tools make the Leatherman MUT specifically designed for military and tactical purposes, focusing on firearm maintenance and related tasks.
The Leatherman Surge has several additional tools that are not present in the Leatherman MUT.
- Diamond-coated file: The Surge includes a diamond-coated file for tasks that require sharpening or shaping rough edges. The MUT does not have this tool.
- Scissors: The Surge features a pair of spring-action scissors for cutting tasks. The MUT does not have scissors.
- Wood/metal file: The Surge has a dedicated wood/metal file for refining edges or removing burrs. The MUT does not include this additional file.
- Awl with thread loop: The Surge possesses an awl with a thread loop, which is useful for sewing or repairing fabrics. This tool is not available in the MUT.
- Blade exchanger: The Surge offers a blade exchanger that allows users to swap between different blade types easily. The MUT does not have this feature.
Size & Weight
When comparing size, the Leatherman MUT comes out as the larger tool, although the Surge edges ahead in terms of weight by a small margin.
|Product||Leatherman MUT||Leatherman Surge|
|Weight||11.2 oz||12.5 oz|
|Closed Length||5 in||4.5 in|
|Open Length||7.45 in||7 in|
|Main Blade Length||3 in||3.1 in|
|Width||1.5 in||1.7 in|
|Overall Thickness||0.79 in||0.8 in|
Earlier on, we examined the specs and functions of both these multi-tools. However, there’s more to them than meets the eye. We must delve into the additional features that warrant our attention. These encompass a range of functionalities that enhance their utility and versatility. Let’s dive in and explore these noteworthy features.
- Front Sight Adjustment Tool – Ensure accuracy and precision with the built-in front sight adjustment tool. You should no longer struggle to find the right tool for this task – it’s at your fingertips.
- Replaceable Pocket Clip – Leatherman MUT incorporates a pocket clip function, allowing you to conveniently attach your multi-tool to either a pocket or belt loop. If you prefer not to use the clip, it can be easily removed.
- One-hand Operable – With its one-hand operable features, the Leatherman allows you to keep your other hand free, enabling you to quickly and efficiently complete tasks. This tool is designed to make your life easier, ensuring that you can focus on the task at hand rather than struggling with your equipment.
- Secure Bit Storage – Never worry about losing or misplacing your tool bits again. The Leatherman features handle bit storage that can hold your bits safe.
- All Locking – The plier head may not lock into place, but the rest of the features certainly do. This ensures that you can utilize each tool safely and with maximum efficiency. No need to worry about accidental slips or mishaps, as the locking mechanism keeps everything secure.
- Lanyard Ring – The Surge multitool comes with a convenient lanyard ring feature that ensures maximum safety and security. This dedicated ring allows you to confidently attach the tool to a lanyard, eliminating the risk of accidental drops or misplacements. Enjoy peace of mind and easy accessibility with Surge’s practical design.
- Outside-accessible – Similar to the leatherman mut, the surge boasts the convenient feature of outside-accessible tools.
- One-hand Operable – Like most Leatherman multi-tools, the Surge and Mut models are designed to be used with just one hand. This feature adds convenience and practicality to your work, as it allows for easy maneuvering and efficient use of the multi-tool.
In our comparison of the Leatherman MUT and Surge, we conclude that both are excellent multi-tools with numerous functions. However, each tool is designed for specific activities. The Leatherman MUT is perfect for weapon owners and tactical enthusiasts, whereas the Leatherman Surge is a highly versatile multi-tool suitable for a wide range of tasks. Unless you fall into the weapon or tactical enthusiast category, we strongly recommend the Leatherman Surge as the ideal multi-tool for you.