This site contains affiliate links to products. We may receive a commission for purchases made through these links. Please read our Affiliate Disclosure for more.
In the world of multi-tools, Leatherman and Gerber stand out as renowned names that resonate with the multi-tool community. Both brands have earned a stellar reputation for crafting exceptional multi-tools. In this blog post, we will delve into a comparison between the Gerber Crucial and the Leatherman Skeletool. Stay with us till the end to gain a more knowledgeable understanding of these two remarkable multi-tools.
Gerber Crucial vs Leatherman Skeletool – Overview
Gerber Crucial is a compact and versatile everydaycarry multi-tool which can get the job done. Crafted from stainless steel and offered in various colors, it boasts precise needle-nose pliers and eight other components neatly tucked into a convenient butterfly-style design. The Gerber Crucial excels in tackling life’s unexpected challenges. Furthermore, its ergonomically curved handles ensure a secure grip and enhanced torque, making it an indispensable tool for any situation.
Read the complete review: Gerber Crucial
Leatherman Skeletool is a sleek and lightweight multi-tool weighing in at just 5 ounces. This versatile tool features a combination knife, bit driver, pliers, and more, making it a practical companion for various tasks. Crafted from stainless steel, the Skeletool boasts a removable pocket clip and a convenient carabiner that doubles as a bottle opener. With its attractive design and a range of color options, it’s no wonder that the Skeletool frequently catches the eye of those seeking an everyday carry multi-tool.
Read the complete review: Leatherman Skeletool
Skeletool vs Crucial – The Comparison
The Leatherman Skeletool offers 7 functions, whereas the Gerber Crucial provides 9 functions. Let’s quickly examine their functions to understand their capabilities.
Both multi-tools share the following functions:
- Needlenose pliers
- Regular pliers
- Bottle opener
- Pocket clip
Below you can see the main different functions these two have:
- Wire cutters – Crucial has a “V-cut” wire cutters while Skeletool has standard Wire and Hard-wire Cutters
- Screwdrivers – Crucial comes with a Phillips, Large flat screwdrivers while Skeletool has a Large Bit Driver.
- Blade – Crucial has a half-straight half-serrated blade made of stainless steel, on the other hand Skeletool has a Combo knife (just like Crucial) but it is made of 420HC steel.
- Carabiner – While Skeletool has a Carabiner by default on any color the Crucial comes with a Carabiner only on the Green/Grey version.
- Strap Cutter – Gerber Crucial has a Strap Cutter but only on the Black Oxide version, Skeletool doesn’t have this function.
Size & Weight
In terms of size, both the Skeletool and Crucial weigh 5 ounces, with the Skeletool being slightly larger. The Skeletool’s blade measures 2.6 inches in length, while the Crucial’s blade is slightly shorter at 2.25 inches. The difference in blade size between the two is minimal.
|Product||Gerber Crucial||Leatherman Skeletool|
|Weight||5 oz||5 oz|
|Closed Length||3.6 in||4 in|
|Open Length||5.5 in||6 in|
|Main Blade Length||2.25 in||2.6 in|
Both Leatherman Skeletool and Gerber Crucial have some additional features.
- Handle Bit Storage – You can easily store bits in your multi-tool to use them whenever you need them.
- Locking Blade – It locks you blade up to make sure you don’t injure yourself
- Replaceable Pocket Clip – Skeletool comes by default with a pocket clip which you can use it to attach the multi-tool to your belt, if you want to you can remove the pocket clip.
- Locking system – All tools lock up into place.
- Handle material– The handle of the Crucial is made of Anodised aluminium.
Leatherman provides a robust 25-year warranty for all their products, ensuring long-term satisfaction. In contrast, Gerber offers a limited lifetime warranty. Both brands offer warranties that give users peace of mind when choosing their products.
In conclusion of this Gerber Crucial vs Leatherman Skeletool we need to share some of out last thoughts on this matter. Both multi-tools are similar, have the same weight but Skeletool is slightly bigger and when it comes to their functions there is insignificant difference between them. Out of the two we consider Leatherman Skeletool as the better multi-tool. Gerber Crucial is ok but still a little bit behind Skeletool.
Which one is your favorite? Share your thoughts in the comment section.