Leatherman Surge Review – A 21-in-1 Multi-Tool for Everyday Use
Since the early seventies, Leatherman has been constantly increasing their multi-tool empire. Today, the US-based manufacturer is one of the most reputable names in the industry. What makes Leatherman so popular is that each multi-tool ever made by this company is top quality, both in terms of sturdiness and functionality.
Actually, when it comes to the ruggedness and durability of Leatherman products, all are more or less the same. And that’s not a surprise – if something’s made of stainless steel, it doesn’t break easily. This means that whichever multi-tool from Leatherman’s collection you decide to pick, you won’t have to worry about its longevity. Therefore, your decision should be based on the functionality of the multi-tool, that is, the features it comes with.
If you’re not looking for any special tools that are designed for specific purposes, e.g. hunting, fishing, then buying Leatherman Surge might be your best option. This multi-tool comes with all the functions average users should find useful in their everyday lives.
Features of Leatherman Surge
- 21-in-1 multi-tool – There are a total of 21 different tools that make up this multi-tool. Some of those include sharp and serrated knives, scissors, screwdrivers, can and bottle openers, rulers, pliers, wire cutters, and so on.
- Blade exchanger – This is a very useful feature as it allows you to pick which saw blades are you gonna have as a part of the multi-tool. For instance, if you’re planning to cut some wood, you should mount the wood saw blade. If, on the other hand, you will need to saw metal, put in a metal saw blade.
- Tool lock – Once you fold the tools, there’s no need to worry they’ll unfold on their own. It’s because each one of them, apart from the plier head, come with a locking mechanism.
- Outside-accessible tools – Some of the tools can be used even when the multi-tool is closed, e.g. the ruler.
- One-hand functionality – Leatherman Surge is made to make the life easier for the users. Therefore, you can fold/unfold its tools using only one hand.
Pros & Cons
- Functionality – You won’t find too many multi-tools that feature more tools than Surge. This one has 21 different tools, each of which may come useful in your everyday life, regardless of what your job might be or what kind of hobbies you have. This is a multi-tool you can carry with you when going out hunting, but also a kind of multi-tool that can help you with repairs around the house.
- Ease of use – Surge was designed by people who care about the comfort of the users. This is why the multi-tool is extremely easy to handle. You can open/close the tools and operate them with a single hand. And the best thing is that this doesn’t mean that Surge is not safe. On the contrary, once you lock it, it stays locked!
- Build quality – Surge is made of 420HC stainless steel which makes it almost impossible to break. Furthermore, even if it gets damaged beyond repair, the manufacturer will have to replace it if the warranty is valid. Speaking of warranty, Leatherman gives a 5-year warranty on the Surge.
- Size & weight – Because it’s packed with tools, Surge just couldn’t be a lightweight multi-tool. Its weight is 12.5oz and its length when closed 4.5 inches.
Is Leatherman Surge the right multi-tool for you? Well, as you’ve probably figured out after reading this Leatherman Surge review, we believe that it’s suitable for anyone. Surge has all the functions regular users should find useful in their everyday life. Regardless of what your job or a hobby might be, you’re gonna find use for at least some of the tools that are part of the Surge.